Although, as a commercial product, it has been around in one form or another for over 40 years, and has existed in its most basic form since the dawn of civilization, it is only in the second half of this decade that mineral makeup has started to gain real traction in the global retail marketplace. The reasons behind its growing popularity are mainly based on health and quality concerns, which we are going to examine in this article. If you have been wondering whether mineral based makeup is the right choice for you but have not found any compelling evidence to sway you one way or the other, hopefully the information below will be of some use to you.
The Pros and Cons Associated with Regular and Mineral Based Makeup
Before you decide which type of makeup is the best choice for you, consider the points that we have listed below for your convenience.
- Less Clogging of Pores with Mineral Cosmetics – The fact that mineral based products contain less filler than their conventional counterparts means that daily users of many different cosmetics are less likely to suffer from clogged pores if they go down the more natural, mineral route.
- Less Irritants in Mineral Products – Mineral based makeup that is made from natural, organic ingredients contains less irritants than standard cosmetic ranges, making it a good choice for those that suffer from allergies as well as anybody who simply wishes to avoid the possibility of irritating their skin when applying makeup.
- Conventional Cosmetics Are Generally Cheaper – If there is one factor that has done more than anything to slow the adoption of mineral based cosmetic products by women across the globe it is the cost involved in making such a lifestyle choice: there is no getting around the fact that natural, organic products are normally more expensive. However, the cost of mineral cosmetics is falling in some areas and is therefore less of a consideration than it used to be. Besides, more and more women are coming to the conclusion that paying a little extra for mineral based makeup is far preferable to the alternative.
- Natural Foundation Offers Better Coverage – if you are looking for a product that you can cover your entire face with, without looking like you are getting prepared for a fancy dress party, mineral foundation, in powdered form, is almost certainly a better choice than the conventional liquid foundations that can be found in stores all over the world. Virtually all liquid foundations that are formulated with synthetic ingredients will produce an opaque finish when applied over the whole face, in contrast to the natural, airbrushed finish that is characteristic of mineral based makeup products
Women that would like to try a high-quality range of natural cosmetics can find everything they need in our online store. All of the products that we sell are paraben free and made from mineral base formulae, which means they do not contain the toxins commonly found in conventional cosmetic products.
Maintaining a healthy skincare routine in the 21st century is not as easy as it may sound, with many cosmetics containing substances that it may be best to avoid until the true facts about long-term exposure to them are established. However, with a little research, you can identify the chemicals that are currently giving the most cause for concern among health-conscious ladies and make sure that any cosmetics you buy do not contain them. Below, we take a look at parabens and 6 other potentially dangerous ingredients that you should steer clear of if you want healthy skin and a healthy body.
Choose Organic, Paraben Free Skin Care and Avoid These Ingredients
Stay healthy by avoiding the substances below:
- Parabens – This group of chemicals, used in cosmetics to inhibit mould and bacteria growth, has featured in studies showing links to breast cancer and may also cause allergic reactions in a small percentage of those who are exposed to them on a regular basis. The link to breast cancer is obviously the most worrying aspect of using make-up that contains parabens and is reason enough not to as far as many women are concerned.
- Formaldehyde – This is another chemical widely used in cosmetics to inhibit the growth of bacteria and mould, and formaldehyde is also carcinogenic. With this in mind, avoiding products that contain this substance is the only sensible course of action. When starting your paraben free skin care regime, make sure to stop using products that contain formaldehyde at the same time.
- Propylene glycol – Although it is commonly found in skin conditioning products, it is officially classed as a skin irritant and can penetrate below the surface of the skin, causing a variety of health issues.
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate – Sometimes referred to as Sodium laureth sulfate, this group of substances can irritate the skin, eyes, and lining of the lungs. Despite these obvious drawbacks, they are used in more than 90% of ordinary cosmetics. Adopt a paraben free skin care regime that also excludes these substances and your body will thank you.
- Triclosan – Another widely used substance in the cosmetics industry, triclosan is a known endocrine disruptor and should therefore be avoided.
- Fragrance – When you see this innocuous looking word on a list of ingredients, you should be aware that it can be used to hide a multiple of sins, including many chemicals that are known to have a negative effect on one’s health.
- Synthetic Colours – In common with the word fragrance, this term can be hiding potentially dangerous chemicals from your view. Your paraben free skin care products should naturally exclude synthetic colours too.
A full list of make-up ingredients that are potentially harmful may be too long for you to manage so the best approach to take if you are concerned about the effects of certain cosmetics on your health is to stick to organic, paraben free skin care products made by reputable companies using mineral base formulae, such as Janice Carol Cosmetics.
More and more women are beginning to use paraben free cosmetic products in preference to those that contain varying amounts of these potentially harmful chemicals and there are a number of very good reasons why they are doing so. If you have friends who are no longer using make-up containing these substances and you would like to know what the benefits of following suit might be, take a look at the 7 reasons we have listed below. Should you decide to use paraben free blush and other similar products in the future, you may find that all of these reasons are important to you too.
Reasons Why Paraben Free Blush Is Becoming More Popular
Women who have decided to use blush and other cosmetic products that do not contain parabens cited the following reasons when asked why they decided to make the change.
- Possibility of Allergic Reactions – Although the number of ladies that suffer from such reactions is relatively small, a large percentage of women who were surveyed said they would rather not take a chance with the cosmetic products they use on a daily basis.
- Breast Cancer – The presence of parabens in tissue extracted during biopsies that formed part of a 2010 study was enough to persuade many women that paraben free blush was simply the most sensible choice considering the potential health risks that the alternative posed.
- Personal Choice – Some women prefer paraben free cosmetics for the simple reason that they feel the decision as to what they put on their face every day should be theirs to make. These women believe, quite understandably, that large corporations should not be the ones to choose which chemicals they use in their daily beauty regime.
- Fear of the Unknown – Just the fact that many scientists have admitted they are not sure what the long-term effects of daily exposure to parabens could be is enough for a significant number of women to eschew products that contain them.
- Kinder to the Environment – While no specifics data is available with regard to the environmental impact of the use of paraben in the manufacture of cosmetics, paraben free blush and other organic make-up products are believed to be more eco-friendly.
- Absorption Through the Skin – Parabens are a group of substances that, in common with certain other chemicals, are known to be able to penetrate through the skin. The idea of these substances accumulating in the body over the years has persuaded some women to avoid them altogether.
- Male Infertility – While admittedly a concern that was only raised by a small number of respondents, the possibility that the cosmetics they used could cause their partners to become infertile certainly worried some of the women surveyed.
If you are worried about any or all of the issues mentioned above, you can find paraben free blush, along with many other high-quality organic cosmetic products, in our online store. Please feel free to call or email if you have any questions about our range.
If you have decided to switch to a brand of lipstick that does not contain any parabens, there are a few things you should be aware of that will make your experience that much more satisfying and worthwhile. In this article, we look at 5 of the most important facts any lady who is planning to use paraben free lipstick should know: facts that will help you to make the right choices both now and in the future. If you are already aware of these facts, perhaps you can give your friends a link to this article so they can get up to speed with the latest developments in the cosmetics industry.
What You Should Know When Trying Paraben Free Lipstick
Bear the following facts in mind when you make your first purchase, so you can maximize the benefit you enjoy by making the switch from regular lipstick.
- Parabens Are Not the Only Harmful Ingredients – While there is good cause for concern with regard to the widespread use of parabens in cosmetics products today, there are many other substances you should look out for too. When buying paraben free lipstick, try to make sure that you choose an organic brand that does not contain other harmful substances, such as formaldehyde and triclosan.
- All Your Cosmetics May Contain Parabens – It is not only your lipstick that could contain parabens. Foundation, moisturiser, hand cream and many other products commonly contain these potentially harmful substances too. With this in mind, it is a good idea to stop using these products altogether, not just lipstick. By completely cutting out cosmetics that contain parabens, you will increase the potential health benefits that you stand to enjoy.
- More than Just Cancer – While the most damning study relating to parabens is undoubtedly the one published in 2010 that linked these substances to occurrences of breast cancer, parabens have the potential to cause a myriad of other health issues. The main problem at this moment in time is that nobody is quite sure what the extent or severity of these issues could be.
- You May Have to Spend a Little More – In common with other organic products on the market today, paraben free lipstick will generally be more expensive than the ordinary brands you can find in your local stores. However, given the health concerns that surround parabens, the extra cost is a small price to pay as far as most women are concerned.No
- Need to Limit Your Choice – Lipstick that does not contain any type of parabens can be manufactured in just as many unique colours as ordinary cosmetic ranges so there is no need to limit yourself as far as make-up tones are concerned when you switch to paraben free lipstick.
While the studies highlighting the detrimental effects on human health of cosmetics containing parabens are not yet extensive, the facts uncovered so far have persuaded many women that waiting for more evidence would be foolish, especially as paraben free alternatives are widely available. Shop for your new lipstick in our online store today!
Perhaps the most worrying aspect of the widespread use of parabens in cosmetics is what we don’t know: ladies who use make-up on a daily basis, independent scientists, those responsible for the regulation of such products, and even the manufacturers of cosmetics themselves are simply not sure what the long-term consequences of exposure to parabens may be. However, some of the facts that are beginning to emerge from independent studies are worrying to say the least, with reported links to breast cancer and other serious diseases. If you have yet to make the move to paraben free cosmetics, you should be concerned about the long-term effects of daily use but the first questions you need to find answers to are these ones: what level of parabens can be found in the make-up products you use every day and are these levels considered dangerous?
How Much Is Too Much and Are Paraben Free Cosmetics the Only Safe Option?
While you may find it relatively easy to obtain an answer to the first question mentioned above, regarding the level of parabens in the cosmetic products you use, an answer to the second question may prove to be somewhat more elusive. There are a number of problems that become apparent when trying to assess a safe level of exposure and it is perhaps because of these problems that many ladies are deciding to err on the side of caution and use paraben free cosmetics.
- Lack of Solid Evidence – While traces of parabens were found in a majority of samples taken from breast tumour biopsies during one study, more studies need to be done if we are to be able to establish what is considered a safe level, if indeed there is such a thing, as far as these chemicals are concerned. Until more statistics have been collected, there is not enough information on which to base a professional opinion.
- No Monitoring of Cumulative Effects – In addition to the problem of identifying safe levels of parabens for individual cosmetic products, there is the issue of cumulative exposure: could using multiple paraben-containing products, such as deodorants, moisturisers, anti-wrinkle creams and foundations, result in cumulative exposure that poses a danger to your health? If this is a possibility then paraben free cosmetics seem to be the only sensible choice, owing to the difficulty of establishing and monitoring safe levels when considering all the products a lady may use as part of her daily beauty regime.
- Individual Sensitivity – As with many other substances that are potentially harmful to one’s health, some people may be more sensitive to parabens than others, which will make calculating safe levels an even harder task.
If you would rather not take a chance, you can find a wide range of paraben free cosmetics for sale in our online store, all of which are available at very competitive prices. Feel free to browse our selection at your leisure before deciding with products you would like to try.