Maintaining a healthy skincare routine in the 21st century is not as easy as it may sound, with many cosmetics containing substances that it may be best to avoid until the true facts about long-term exposure to them are established. However, with a little research, you can identify the chemicals that are currently giving the most cause for concern among health-conscious ladies and make sure that any cosmetics you buy do not contain them. Below, we take a look at parabens and 6 other potentially dangerous ingredients that you should steer clear of if you want healthy skin and a healthy body.
Choose Organic, Paraben Free Skin Care and Avoid These Ingredients
Stay healthy by avoiding the substances below:
- Parabens – This group of chemicals, used in cosmetics to inhibit mould and bacteria growth, has featured in studies showing links to breast cancer and may also cause allergic reactions in a small percentage of those who are exposed to them on a regular basis. The link to breast cancer is obviously the most worrying aspect of using make-up that contains parabens and is reason enough not to as far as many women are concerned.
- Formaldehyde – This is another chemical widely used in cosmetics to inhibit the growth of bacteria and mould, and formaldehyde is also carcinogenic. With this in mind, avoiding products that contain this substance is the only sensible course of action. When starting your paraben free skin care regime, make sure to stop using products that contain formaldehyde at the same time.
- Propylene glycol – Although it is commonly found in skin conditioning products, it is officially classed as a skin irritant and can penetrate below the surface of the skin, causing a variety of health issues.
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate – Sometimes referred to as Sodium laureth sulfate, this group of substances can irritate the skin, eyes, and lining of the lungs. Despite these obvious drawbacks, they are used in more than 90% of ordinary cosmetics. Adopt a paraben free skin care regime that also excludes these substances and your body will thank you.
- Triclosan – Another widely used substance in the cosmetics industry, triclosan is a known endocrine disruptor and should therefore be avoided.
- Fragrance – When you see this innocuous looking word on a list of ingredients, you should be aware that it can be used to hide a multiple of sins, including many chemicals that are known to have a negative effect on one’s health.
- Synthetic Colours – In common with the word fragrance, this term can be hiding potentially dangerous chemicals from your view. Your paraben free skin care products should naturally exclude synthetic colours too.
A full list of make-up ingredients that are potentially harmful may be too long for you to manage so the best approach to take if you are concerned about the effects of certain cosmetics on your health is to stick to organic, paraben free skin care products made by reputable companies using mineral base formulae, such as Janice Carol Cosmetics.